Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I purchased a lot in a development in Texas 40 years ago…

I purchased a lot...

I purchased a lot in a development in Texas 40 years ago during a high pressure sales pitch...i have never used the lot and have zero use for the lot ...the development has gone nowhere...no where except charge “resort” fees — there is no public market for the lot...how can i divest myself of the lot & monthly “dues” ?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a TX lawyer about this?

Not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have paid the property taxes to the county, but not the monthly “dues”

3/23/2018
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am so sorry to read about your difficulties.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

If there are no interest buyers for the property, then your recourse here may be to stop paying the property taxes and let the County take over the property in a tax sale.

You may also try to see if the resort would agree to take the property back from you and you pay the transfer fee.

I am sorry, but there are no good solutions here.

Best wishes,

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
From my perspective, what is the downside of the county taking over the property ?...the tax is something like $35/year...somewhere in my credit rating it gets listed as a default?...my scores are presently in the 800s...this is such a minor asset, how much might it impact the scores ?...are there other issues that are a negative ?

Thank you for the information.

The delinquency may be reported on your credit file and would unfortunately affect your credit score. However, by how much, I cannot tell you that.