Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I have a friend of mine that has been renting a room from me…

I have a friend...

I have a friend of mine that has been renting a room from me for about 5 years. He has not paid rent in 3 months and has moved in with his girlfriend. He will not pay me or return my phone calls. What can I do to collect rent. I do not have a lease agreement with him.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Michigan

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

No lease

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/22/2018
Lori
Lori, Lawyer
Hello. Let me see if I can assist.
Give me a moment to review and type my reply.
I recommend a demand letter for back rent telling him in writing to pay you or you will be forced to file a lawsuit against to recovery money damages.
Hope that helps.
Please remember to accept my response and post a positive rating.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks for the quick response. Though we do not have a lease are there any eviction processes I must go through? I don't want him to drag this out if he is considered a legal tenant? All of his things are still in my house.
Even without a written lease, he is deemed a month to month tenant. You need to give proper notice before you can evict. Do you have the Michigan Notice form?
Lori
Lori, Lawyer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am not sure. I have a copy of the State of Michigan Demand for Possession Nonpayment of Rent form. Is that the correct one? That gives him 7 days to pay or I can start the eviction process. Then I need to file an eviction notice? I do not have that form.
you need to send the 7-day demand for possession. If he does not pay, you will need to file the eviction action. County clerk has the eviction forms online to get the case filed.
Please remember to accept my responses and post a positive rating.
Lori
Lori
Lori, Lawyer