Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Fire in apartment. Old electric stove sparked during

Customer Question
Fire in apartment. Old...

Fire in apartment. Old electric stove sparked during cooking. Negligent landlords non repairs. Now want to pass repair to my daughter.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is the property located in? And has anyone consulted a local attorney about this?

Los angeles, California (GranadaHills)

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

Lots of issues. No maintenance or upkeep.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

She is single mom wit 2 children' she has renter's insurance to cover personal property but is afraid owners will sue her for damages. Most of which were previously necessary. 2 yr ago Housing Athority ordered owners to make repairs to crumbling plaster in walls, they never did. They been charging her for inspection fees for inspections that never took place.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/22/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
There is no basis to contest your position, which apparently is simply being pursued in bad faith against facts and law.A lawyer letter from a local lawyer can be effective in several ways. It can avoid costly litigation and help bring about a settlement. It also helps organize the claim and if it goes to court shows the judge you tried in good faith to resolve it!By being prepared and pressing your claim, the other side should feel the pressure and consider the risk of losing and legal fees. That realization can help bring about a settlement!You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”If you have a follow up, just reply and ask me!
Not understanding. Are you saying she has no defence against their negligence?
If they pursue her or deduct she would defend and can sue if seeking deposit back.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Feeling ripped off. I want a refund. No advice found in your reply. Just request for more $$
I replied above with options. Did you see that?
I will see... you will need to speak to my daughter directly.
Please have her review the options I outlined. Where the other side is negligent she should not be held liable and if deposit being wrongly withheld you can take landlord to small claims court!You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
She's at work. She just met with manager at apartment with repair guy. Manager told repairman in Spanish that fire was my daughter's fault, unaware that my daughter understood. They alo intimidated her ting to force her to accept fault or they wouldn't repair
Normally police and fire dept make the determination as to fault and issue a report.
Fire department states grease fire, but fire started because stove sparks, electric coils defective. How long do we have opportunity to call, as she is at work now.
They will be removing stove on Monday. Our only proof is its defects.
You may want to have it privately inspected. Again, if you get an automatic phone call request, you can accept it and a phone based law expert will handle. if you prefer to proceed by chat with me, just reply to the chat. some customers choose both, but the choice is yours! Thanks