Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My roommate is my tenant. I told him not to smoke in the…

My roommate is my tenant...
My roommate is my tenant. I told him not to smoke in the house but he kept his door shut still smokes. How do I tackle that from legal stand point?
3/22/2018
RealEstateAnswer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Is there a lease? If so, does it mention there is no smoking or was this just verbal?

Verbal.
But there are other roommate can be proof.
Can I make a letter and have him sign it to be effective immediately?

Thank you for the reply. If the tenant is in violation of a rule of the rental agreement, you can give them a notice to cure and cease their conduct ( smoking) and if they refuse and this continues, evict them and sue for the cost of cleaning and removing the odor. You can give him a notice and ask him to sign it and placing him on notice, that he can not smoke, this was what he was told and you are aware of it and will act accordingly if it continues.

Thank you. Can the notice be effective immediately?

Yes, you can, with the goal that it stops. After all, if it continues, damage can be done as a result of the smoke. You are welcome. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. A 5 STAR rating is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

RealEstateAnswer