Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I work administratively for a Florida state certified

swimming pool contractor. I just...
I work administratively for a Florida state certified swimming pool contractor. I just noticed that I mistakenly listed a customer's spouse on the Notice of Commencement and she is the one who had it notarized. (The husband is the only one listed as an owner. The wife is not listed as an owner on the property.) It has already been recorded with the county clerk. Should I record a Notice of Termination of Notice of Commencement and have the owner sign a new one? Beyond being personally embarrassed, it may look bad on the contractor, but we need to keep everything above board and legal. Thank you!
3/22/2018

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Yes, you need to go to the customer and explain the issue and get them to sign a new notice of commencement and terminate the previous one. The current one you have signed would be defeated in court, so it does you no good if the signing spouse is not the property owner. So you need to explain mistakes happen and take responsibility for the mistake and tell them you need to correct it and apologize for the inconvenience. MOST customers appreciate honesty and will understand it. Either way, you have to get it done to have a valid lien though.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer