Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I have had a large branch fall into my property and killed a…

Customer Question
I have had a...

I have had a large branch fall into my property and killed a cow . It's still connected to the tree and sitting on the ground in my place, it could fall at any time and damage my farm fence. I rang shire( Baw Baw ) this morning and reported the incident, they said they will send a crew out to cut back fallen branch from the fence line . Can a claim be made against the shire for the dead cow and any possible fence damage. Regards ***** *****

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

Nothing has been done as yet. Removed dead animal , that's it

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the farm located?

Yarragon. Gippsland, Vic.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think so

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/22/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: WiseOwl58, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Lawyer

Laurie:

Yes, you have a valid claim against the shire for the fair market value of the cow that was killed as a result of the large branch falling. YOu would have to show that the shire was neglient and that was the reason that the branch fell. Of course the shire was negligent because they failed to maintain the tree properly and that is why the branch fell.

Get an estimate of how much a cow like your dead cow would sell for, and that is the fair market value that you can claim and recover from the shire.

Please rate five stars ***** by clicking on five stars ***** and press SEND.

A bonus is appreciated after you rate.

Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.

A bonus is appreciated after you rate.

Real Estate Lawyer: WiseOwl58, Lawyer replied 3 months ago

Please rate five stars ***** and by clicking on five stars ***** and press SEND.

A bonus is always appreciated after you rate.