Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I am having a problem with my home builder that built my…

Customer Question
I am having a...

I am having a problem with my home builder that built my house in 2016. We paid extra to have hardwood flooring installed in most of the first floor area. We moved in on Sept 04, 2016 and within the first month started noticing scratched in the hardwood surfaces, mostly in the high traffic areas but also other places. There are 4 adults and 4 dogs that live here. In my previous house, I installed hardwoods on the first floor and lived there 4 years and never had an issue with the flooring. What I did find out is that this flooring is an "engineered" hardwood. However we were told by the sales company that the floor would hold up to our type of traffic. I have requested that the builder refund the $7000 we paid to have this floor installed, but they are only going to repair 20 sq feet of the over 800 sq feet we have, using the same material after reviewing the manufactures flooring inspector's assessment and the installers warranty. I have filed a report with the BBB and requested that a representative from the manufacture, the installer and the builder meet at the house to get a first hand look at what all of them are saying is "normal wear " for this type of flooring. Am I proceeding in the correct manner or should I attempt to go to the small claims court for resolution?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

I have filed the required warranty paperwork with the builder and had an independent floor inspector form the manufacture come out and do his assessment.

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the home located?

Charlotte, NC

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Is this a free consultation or pay as you go?

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/22/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
It is not free. I can suggest some options. would you like that information? please let me know and i will put it together and respond shortly. You can wait or come back later when we email you that a reply is ready. Thanks for your patience. This is not the answer. just an opening question so I can better focus the answer and make it more helpful.
I would rather not start this at this moment. I have a free service through my work affiliation they were not available at this time and was thinking that was how this worked also. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Ok.