Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I have a tenant in coeur d alene ID, she texted me that she…

Customer Question
I have a tenant...

I have a tenant in coeur d alene ID, she texted me that she was giving me a 30 day notice to move out on March 31 the text came in on March, her lease is not up until April 21. I sent her a letter saying she was still responsible for the lease until April 21, and told her again as stated in the lease that I needed a written notice. She got mad at me and said she was staying thru April and hung on me. I texted her and said I need to know what she was going to do. That was yesterday I still have not heard from her. What are my rights

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Coeur d alene ID did you get the rest of my test I sent

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

The lease is up April 21, she texted me March 5 and told me she was giving me a 30 day notice. I sent her a letter telling her she was responsible for the lease until April 21, and the lease states a notice in writing I have not seen that either

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't thing so, I just am wondering what I can do - I was going to send her a certified letter. also the house was do filthyI could not show it

Submitted: 29 days ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/22/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 29 days ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

What is it that you want to do? The tenant stated that they are staying through April...

.

Have they paid March rent?

.

Does your lease state that the tenant has to give a 30 day notice if they will be leaving at the end of the lease?

.

Are you holding a security deposit?

.

.

thanks

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
The lease states I need a written notice, also she yelled she was staying until April, and then hung up on me - I have no idea if she intends to stay or not. and yes the lease does state they have to give me a 30 day notice in writing ( bold letters) and she says a text message is good enough. they have paid March rent - Yes. Now weather she pays April rent I don't know, and the carpets have a few holes in them and terrible stains that were not there before
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
maybe a call latter if I need it

Ok, technically a text is "writing" as the implies that a verbal notice would not be accepted..

.

But if she didn't pay April rent, you can immediately give her a written 3 day notice to pay or vacate and then file to evict if she didn't pay up.

.

If you have a deposit, then you would obviously use that for any damages and also for any delinquent rent and cleaning costs..

With that said, I might suggest you send a short letter tomorrow just stating you are giving a courtesy reminder that the lease will expire on April 21 and only a prorated amount of rent will be due next month... That way it won't sneak up on them if they forgot when it expires..

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

.

thanks

Barrister, Lawyer