Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Have a tenant that left permanent stains on granite

Customer Question
Have a tenant that...

Have a tenant that left permanent stains on granite countertops. Two stone restoration companies said it cannot be repaired. Tenant is claiming normal wear and tear and wants security deposit returned. Are we correct in using deposit for repair?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps has the tenant taken so far? Have they prepared or filed any paperwork?

No, they sent an email stating that's it is illegal to hold back the deposit for normal wear and tear.

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

California

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/21/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
You are indeed. This is not a dirty carpet or wall needing a basic paint job. This is specific harm caused by tenant with corresponding estimates for repair. Notify tenant with those estimates and intent to deduct.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
I would like your answer in an email to be included in a response back to the tenant including your name. Is this possible for this service?
Site rules don’t permit that. We do not represent customers.martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.You can use this content of course!
I hope that is understandable. Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Real Estate Lawyer: Attyadvisor, Attorney replied 3 months ago
Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor, Attorney

I am a different Attorney. Pursuant to the terms of service for the site we are not permitted to contact your tenant on your behalf. The Attorneys on the site cannot enter into an Attorney/Client relation with customers of the site. The answer provided by the first Attorney is correct. Terms of Service http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0

I'm not requesting an attorney contact my tenant on my behalf. I want to demonstrate to my tenant that I have received a legal response from a real attorney and not one going by the name of InfoLawyer.
I am sorry that is not how the site works.