Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

FOR LEGALGEMS Doesn’t the investors outright “refusing” to…

FORCustomerDoesn’t the investors outright “refusing”...
FORCustomerDoesn’t the investors outright “refusing” to pay as agreed, any further, unless as the investor demanded the owner fire the promoter, or for “ANY” reason not outlined in a contract, break his contract whether only verbal or not, anyway? And if so, doesn’t that mean that the owner is then free to take a “portion” of the “percentage” of the proceeds that was promised to this investor and that the investor would have received if he had paid as agreed, and now offer it to a new investor to step in and pay the remaining amounts “successfully” that this first investor “failed” to pay?
3/21/2018
legalgems
legalgems, Arbitrator

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

It is possible;

"anticipatory repudiation" or "anticipatory breach" is when a party, by words or actions, declares there intent to no longer comply with the terms of the contract - that they intend to breach it.

the problem is that with an oral contract there can be a dispute as to the terms so a party can allege that their conduct/words did not breach their version of the oral contract.

IF there is anticipatory breach the nonbreaching party may choose to:

1. proceed as if there is a breach. Many courts will require notice to the breaching party basically giving the breaching party a right to cure by a certain date or stating the party will be considered in breach and the nonbreaching party will seek their legal remedies and may pursue a replacement party to the contract

2. file for a declaratory judgment- please see here -essentially it is an advisory opinion asking the court the parties' respective rights

3. file for breach of contract and seek damages and injunctions/specific performance:

a. specific performance requires one party to do something specific- to comply with a certain provision of the contract

b. injunction usually precludes a party from taking part in a certain act; so for example, an injunction to not dispose/sell/transfer property pending the litigation's outcome

If an owner takes a percentage that is not set forth in contract that can lead to liability if the investor feels they earned more.

There is a legal doctrine (quantum meruit) which is an equitable remedy that allows a court to award a party "as much as s/he deserves" - so once again it is vague and the court would determine what is appropriate if the contract does not specify.

legalgems
legalgems, Arbitrator
GOOD! THANK YOU ! HERE COMES NEXT Q

Thank you.

Hopefully those links help explain the legal terms as I know how confusing it all can be.