Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I am renting a house from a family member without a end

Customer Question
Hi I am renting...

Hi I am renting a house from a family member without a end date. The family member also told me I can stay as long as I want until I can buy and also gave me power of attorney for the house. She has decided to sale but my credit it not where it needs to be to buy yet. Do I have any right to be able to stay?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

I haven't taken any legal steps yet.

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the house located?

South Carolina

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

She wants to put the house on the market in April and have potential buyers come in and look in the house while we are still living here. If we have to leave is there a way to refuse to let strangers come and look while we still are living here?

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/21/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
RealEstateAnswer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good afternoon. Absent a lease agreement or something in writing, that would allow you to remain, you would need to vacate if she provides you with the proper written notice and ends the month to month tenancy. Even though she may have told you these things, without something in writing to evidence it, you would need to vacate if she wants to sell. As a tenant, you also need to cooperate with the showings but at the same time, she needs to provide you with reasonable notice prior to any showings. If you refuse, she could evict you for doing so and preventing the showings.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!