Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My daughter just came home to a flooded home. New

Customer Question
My daughter just came...

My daughter just came home to a flooded home. New construction under 1 year old. She , husband and 2 dogs are in hotel and now asked to move to different hotel and insurance has 1,000 deductable. Do they need legal representation? I think the home warrenty and the landlord should be responsible for their deductible..

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far? Has any paperwork been prepared or filed?

I believe they just made a verbal claim with their own insurance.

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the home located?

Idaho

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No thanks

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
In case it isn't clear - they rent the home and the landlord lives out of state.
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/21/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: legalgems, Arbitrator replied 3 months ago
legalgems
legalgems, Arbitrator

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

I am sorry to hear this;

so the resident is the tenant?
Does the tenant have renter's insurance?
What was the cause of the flood (tenant or owner's fault)?

Does landlord have insurance?
Does the lease address whether the tenant must have renter's insurance?

resident is tennent. They have renters insurance with 1000 deductible. Builder has assumed responsibility and is making repairs. They will need to replace furnishings so who pays for that including deductible? Thanks

Thank you;

So essentially when a third party (owner, builder) is liable for a defect that causes the tenant damage (property damage) generally the court will hold the third party liable under doctrines of "negligence".

Negligence requires a showing of:

1) That a duty or specific standard of care was owed
(2) That the duty or standard of care was breached in some manner by the defendant
(3) The breach caused damages to the plaintiff
(4) The plaintiff suffered as a result of such negligence.

The court typically allows "reasonably foreseeable" and "proximately caused" damages so generally the cost to repair the situation, damage to personal property and lodging expenses if the home is not habitable.

The insurance company may also seek indemnification-they may sue the third party for reimbursement for any claims paid out under the renter's policy.

Hello; just checking in on the above.
If you have further questions please post here and I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Otherwise
kindly rate positively (hopefully you feel I have earned 5 stars) to help maintain my high customer satisfaction score and so I know you were satisfied with my services.

The above information is for educational purposes only. An attorney in one's jurisdiction can be located at https://www.americanbar.org/groups/legal_services/flh-home.html
Thank you.