Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I have a civil matter in superior court in Asotin County,

Customer Question
I have a civil...

I have a civil matter in superior court in Asotin County, Washington state. I had a house built in Clarkston, WA. I am suing the builder because he ran way over the amount he charged to build the house. I am suing him for the run over amount and I am suing him and his bond for defects on the property he left. The builder lives out of state so he had 60 days to respond to the law suit. His lawyer send a notice of appearance to the court. My question is: How much time after the lawyer gave that response do they actually have to submit an answer. I think 60 days from the day of the response. Also is there any kind of law or guide some where that states the percentage the builder is allowed (w/o consequence) to go over his initial calculation before he has to pay out of his own pocket. this builder went over close to 70 thousand and if I had not had resources to finish, I would have lost everything to the bank

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

Answer***@******.***

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a WA lawyer about this?

I just said I filed 2 law suits. That's way I am asking how many days do they have to give an answer after he gave a notice of appearance

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No I think I fully explained the situation. I will not chat on line. they will have to answer via email.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/20/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Response due within 30 days. Parties often agree to extend time.10 percent is considered reasonable room beyond estimate.You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way.If needed, martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Are you saying the defendant only has 30 days to submit an answer to the complaint after his lawyer filed a notice of appearance? Also remember the builder got 60 days to file a notice of appearance or appear because he lives in another state. It has been over 30 days now since the lawyer filed the notice of appearance, so that would be great if it was only 30 days then I could file for a default judgement.
but as mentioned more time is given and a default will be vacated.
I would focus on getting answer filed and then proceed to conduct discovery.
If you have a follow up, just reply and ask me!Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
There has been no discuss between me and the builders lawyer about extentions of time. I he only had 30 days to answer, he is in default. Is the rule even though he lives out of state.?
I would wait as a default would be vacated or contact the lawyer to discuss timing and discovery.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Why would I have to file an answer when I filed the complaint and my case is laid out in the complaint with all the exhibits. He has to answer the complaint. Right? If I prematurely ask for a default judgement, the judge will not give it to me if the time is not up for the builder to file his answer to my complaints. But time is up if he had 30 days from when the notice of appearance was filed March 10,2018
Wait on the answer. Don’t rush to default since will be vacated
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Don't they have to answer the complaint before I have to ask for discovery? They never gave me anything to ask to be discovered. Don't they to have tell how they will defend against my complaint?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
far you have not made sense
Again, wait on the answer, don’t rush to default and while you wait you can plan some discovery you would want to seek. Once the answer is filed you can improve it based on the answer. You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
You said they only have 30 days to answer my complaint after they filed the Notice of Appearance. They have not filed before the 30 days. It's been 50 days. So why do I not consider time to be up. What you're saying doesn't make sense to me.
Because if you try to default the court will permit a late answer.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm frustrated! Wait until when to default? You are not addressing my question about the time. According to you their time is up!!! You said they had 30 days from the date they filed the Notice of Appearance and they had 60 days to file that since he lives out of state. Therefore according to you they are out of time since it has been 50 days since they filed the Notice to appear!!!
You seem to want to default the defendant so go ahead
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
You never answered my question about the date. Of course I want to default. I don't really want to got to court against skilled lawyers
Tina, Lawyer