Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I paid off my mortgage and the County sent the deed to the…

I paid off my...

I paid off my mortgage and the County sent the deed to the real estate lawyer, Samuel ********, who helped me to buy the property.He is no longer in practice or he is deceased. How do I find my deed?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

************************************************************************

3/20/2018
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. There is no specific course of action is proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege formed within this conversation. (You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.)

I am sorry to hear about this. You can get a certified copy of the deed at the RECORDER OF DEED for the county where the property is located. See below for contact information:

Louis L. Redding County Building
800 N. French St.
Fourth Floor
Wilmington, DE 19801
View Map

Ph:(###) ###-####br />Fx:(###) ###-####br />

Hours

Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.

Thank you for your reply. I have a certified copy from N.C.County; however, I would like to have the original. Is the certified copy legal if I decide to sell the property?

Thank you for your follow up. You'd have to contact whoever controls his practice's documents, which may be part of the estate if he passed away. Truth is, they were likely destroyed.

Good news is that a certified copy should be good enough for a sale.

Kind Reminder: Please, use SEND button to keep chatting, or please rate positively and click SEND to submit your rating once satisfied. You may always ask follow ups at no charge before or after rating. "I STRIVE FOR FIVE!"

Ely, Counselor at Law