Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I live in, and have a question about the statue of

Hello i live in...

Hello i live in Virginia , and have a question about the statue of limitations on a foreclosed rental property that had a second mortgage . A collection agency sent a letter stating the transfer of collection rights had been transfered to them.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

No we haven’t ...the letter said we have 30 days to notify that we dispute the validity of the debt in writing and the letter is dated 3/9/2018. They said effective march 5,2018 making any payment to the original mortgage company that service would be CANCELLED and effective march 5,2018 correspondence and payments should be made payable to them. On the letter it stated date of our last payment was April 12, 2012 almost 6 years ago....I’m thinking statue of limitations in virginia is 5 years ??? Their threat is “ if you fail to fulfill the terms of your credit obligations we “may” submit a negative report reflecting on your credit record to a credit reporting agency “. So we are wondering if we have to do anything ?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a VA lawyer about this?

No we haven’t.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No that’s about it for starters.

3/20/2018
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. There is no specific course of action is proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege formed within this conversation. (You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.)

I am sorry to hear about this situation.

1) Under § 8.01-241, the statute of limitations for a foreclosure action is 10 years in Virginia.

2) Even if it is too late to enforce foreclosure, they can still place a negative mark on your credit. However, it should fall off under 7.5 years or so, counting from time of debt. So effectively, it may be challenged and may be dropped NOW if they do this.

3) However, you'd still likely not get clear title because even if they are too late with a foreclosure, you still wouldn't have paid off the mortgage so the title would not be free from "cloud" of the mortgage.

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.

Ely, Counselor at Law
Ely, Counselor at Law