Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Need advice re my divorce settlement 4 years ago. My wife at…

Customer Question
Need advice re my...

Need advice re my divorce settlement 4 years ago. My wife at the time transferred half of our assets out of our joint acct. without permission. I assumed that she would receive half as a function of Texas law. I recently heard that inherited money that one spouse brings into the marriage is not claimable. All the money we had in our joint acct. was left to me by my mother. I would like to know if it is potentially recoverable(?) Thanks

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in TX family court?

Actually, the divorce was final in January of 2015

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?

Not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No thank you

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/20/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thanks so much for your patience. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Generally, property is going to be considered separate property if it comes through an inheritance. This is different than community property that is divisible upon divorce. Separate property is property that is not divisible upon divorce. In your case, if you have $ that was just yours, then you can go back to court and request an order that you be given the equivalent in community property to make up for the half of the inheritance that was taken from you. So, the answer to your question is yes, it is recoverable.

What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?