Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Would like to know if landlord has to pay for hotel fees…

Would like to know...

Would like to know if landlord has to pay for hotel fees while they remediate a mold issue we've discovered (expected 5-6 days)

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

This is in Washington DC

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

Landlord has offered to pay for remediation of mold, but not hotel fees. Tenant is responsible for repairs up to $40

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, that's all. Thanks!

3/20/2018
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

.

Yes, if the mold is causing the house to be uninhabitable due to airborne contaminants, this would violate the landlord's duty to provide a habitable dwelling. Black mold is a known respiratory irritant and can cause flu like symptoms and respiratory problems in children and the elderly. They would be on the hook to provide alternate accommodations until repairs are done and it is safe to return..

.

.

thanks

Barrister, Lawyer