Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

If a new development Homeowners association was established…

If a new development...

If a new development Homeowners association was established with restriction prohibiting open RV, or boat storage (no driveways, and street view), can the association following the CC&R amendment provisions, amend the CC&R's, to allow open storage. If so, would owners have claims against the HOA for diminished property values?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far? Has any paperwork been prepared or filed?

No action has been taken by association to change restrictions, but will be voting on change in coming month.

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

Manson, WA

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think so, just want to know if there is any precedence in law about property value loss as a result of these kind of changes. Many on-line articles claim diminished values of up to 5 -10%, but don't know if this is supported in law, since there seems to be a lot of subjectivity.

3/20/2018
WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Lawyer

Under Washington law, you can sue the HOA for a change in regulations that diminshes your property value. You would have to quantify the value, and I suggest you bring in the author of that article as the expert witness to quantify the loss in value to your property because of the HOAs actions.

Please rate five stars ***** by clicking on five stars ***** and press SEND.

A bonus is appreciated after you rate.

Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.

WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Lawyer