Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Can Utility Department force property owner to pay unpaid…

Customer Question
Can Utility Department force...

Can Utility Department force property owner to pay unpaid Tenant utility bill when the contract for supply is between Utilities and Tenant ONLY? Section 180.135 F.S. clear forbids but Utilities forget that and base procedure on Section 153.67... Isn't this prepotence?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far? Has any paperwork been prepared or filed?

No, just personal talks and letters from Utility forcing landlord based upon Section 153.67, IGNORING COMPLETELY section 180.135.

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

F/Y/I I am not a lawyer... but I know how to read.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Sarasota County, Florida.. I am a small property owner and cannot hire a lawyer to defend from Government

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/20/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: WiseOwl58, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Lawyer

the sticky part is they cannot hold you liable for the bill, but they can restrict service to your unit, which may make it difficult for the next tenant to get service. I suggest you try to negotiate a small settlement with the utility so that you can rent to the next person who can get service.

Usually the utility will accept a small amount just to clear the account and open your unit for new service. Try offering 25% of their claimed amount. That usually works.

Please rate five stars ***** by clicking on five stars ***** and press SEND.

A bonus is appreciated after you rate.

Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.

A bonus is appreciated after you rate.

WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Lawyer