Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My daughter is renting in Seattle and had water damage in…

Customer Question
My daughter is renting...

My daughter is renting in Seattle and had water damage in her unit to the extent that walls and the kitchen cabinets were removed. Management moved her into another building, she continued to pay rent. Lease was Feb 1 2018 to March 15, 2018. She gets an email yesterday that she needs to move out ASAP and back into her unit which still has no kitchen cabinets (suppose to install tomorrow) and countertop installed next week.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps has your daughter taken so far? Has she prepared or filed any paperwork?

Management offered to have movers help with her stuff. She has no vehicle and works late. The real issue is that they re rented this apartment and need her out. The rented furniture and that company was to remove that furniture today.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has she talked to a WA lawyer about this?

No, thats the next step. I have 25 years in property management experience, I know they are at fault because they did not give her notice that she needed to be out or relocated before this new tenant was to move in. They have made a big mistake and forcing actions on my daughter that should not occur. She had paid for the full month of March.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I think there was mold and asked for a report on mold testing which they did not provide.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/20/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: WiseOwl58, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Lawyer

They have to give her reasonable notice of the plan to relocate her and do it at a mutually convenient time.

Moreover, they cannot move her back into her old unit until the work is completed there.

I suggest you negotiate a big discount in rent, a few free months, for the injustice that has occurred, otherwise, as you know, you can take the landlord to court and you will prevail here.

Please rate five stars ***** by clicking on five stars ***** and press SEND.

A bonus is appreciated after you rate.

Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.

Real Estate Lawyer: WiseOwl58, Lawyer replied 4 months ago

A bonus is appreciated after you rate.

Please rate five stars ***** and by clicking on five stars ***** and press SEND.

A bonus is always appreciated after you rate.