Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I rented a house in Phoenixville, PA. I didn’t renew my

I rented a house...

I rented a house in Phoenixville, PA. I didn’t renew my lease because I am going through hard times. Can the landlord kick me out without any court date

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Pennsylvania

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

Plenty. For the time I was there he had said I would have a basement. But the basement was never done. The light in my son’s room never fixed

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I haven’t been able to pay the rent for months. However, I’d like some time to exit

3/20/2018
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

No, the landlord may not evict you without an order from the court which is executed by the sheriff. The process takes about a month and you would be served a summons to start the court process.

Evicting you without the court process would make the landlord liable to you for unlawful eviction.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you for using JA.

Loren, Lawyer