Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

I had a home in ohio the judge award a quick claim deed to

Customer Question

I had a home in ohio the judge award a quick claim deed to my ex wife. how do I go about taking my name off the loan?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: none this is my first step of trying to seek council
JA: Have you talked to an Ohio lawyer about this?
Customer: the domestic part
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: that's it my name off the property first
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 6 months ago.

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thanks so much for your considerable patience on this. Generally, the only way to get your name off of a loan is either a) by court order or b) by refinancing. The court usually doesn't have the authority to require the bank to take your name off of the loan. This means that your wife will need to refinance the property in her own name. If she cannot refinance the property in her own name, then she will likely have to sell the property to stay consistent with the order that you no longer be responsible for the mortgage debt.

What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?