Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I currently live at home with my parents. They are elderly.

Customer Question
It is possible for them...
I currently live at home with my parents. They are elderly. It is possible for them to transfer the house & mortgage to me?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/20/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 1 month ago
Nisha Jones

Good morning, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Real Estate Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 1 month ago

Yes, they can transfer title to the house, one way of doing this is through a quit claim deed for example.

Transferring title to the house does not automatically transfer the mortgage though.

A mortgage typically cannot be transferred without being approved by the lender.

That means you'll need to speak with the bank or lending agency, and get a mortgage refinance approved in your name.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions about this. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Real Estate Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 1 month ago

Hi, just checking in to see if you'd still like help getting your questions answered. Think of this more as a back and forth conversation. Let me know if you'd still like my assistance, thanks!

Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones