Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My brother owns a condo in Chicago, Il. He’s going through a…

My brother owns a...

My brother owns a condo in Chicago, Il. He’s going through a tough tlife me, financially & has fallen 5months behind in his HOA fees. The HOA president, who resides in the building, cut off the power to his unit. In addition to the weather current hovering around the freezing mark, my brother has severe sleep apnea & his c-pap machine cannot be used without power. How should he address this matter?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far? Has any paperwork been prepared or filed?

None. The power was just cut today.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has he talked to an IL lawyer about this?

No.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Only that he owns his condo outright, resides alone & has complicated medical issues.

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/20/2018
WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Lawyer

It is illegal for the HOA to cut off his power, especially since they are endangering his health since he cannot use the CPAP which is a prescription medical device. The HOA is liable for any health issues that he suffers and he can sue them for damages. In the meantime, he should demand that the electric be turned on again. That is completely illegal and unacceptable.

Please rate five stars ***** by clicking on five stars ***** and press SEND.

A bonus is appreciated after you rate.

Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.

WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Lawyer
Thank you for the reply. In the event that the HOA president is resistant, is calling the police to intervene a reasonable next step?

yes,I suggest you call the police for enforcement. great idea.