Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Can a HOA file a lien without first notifying me?

3/20/2018
WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Lawyer

Under Texas laws they are required to send you an invoice and then a notice saying that if you do not pay the invoice, they will file a lien. If they do not follow the procedure properly, you can go to the county assessor and recorder and have the lien removed from your property. Then the HOA will have the burden of proof to show that they followed procedure properly, which here they clearly did not, so you will prevail under Texas law.

Please rate five stars ***** by clicking on five stars ***** and press SEND.

A bonus is appreciated after you rate.

Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.

WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Lawyer
May I ask the specific Texas law to cite in my response to their attorney?