Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My mother is purchasing a condo, closing date April 3. My…

Hi - My mother...

Hi - My mother is purchasing a condo, closing date April 3. My brother is co-signing loan (they received final approval) and we found out my brother won't be able to attend the closing. We notified mortgage broker but haven't heard back in about 5 days... just getting a little nervous. What are our options? I'm happy to serve as POA, or can they overnight docs / have my brother sign with notary, etc? Just want to know what the options might be at this point! Thanks!!

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far? Has any paperwork been prepared or filed?

This is in Vermont.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have they talked to a VT lawyer about this?

We have just been working with mortgage agency, who assigned a lawyer - closing will take place at that firm. Perhaps we should contact them directly.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just what the options are at this point and if this could jeopardize anything.

3/19/2018
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

If he won't be able to attend the closing, normally what the closing company will do is get the closing docs ready a day or two early and overnight them by FedEx to brother so he can sign them and then overnight them back to the closing company in time for the closing.

.

I used to be a closing attorney for 4 different lenders and this wasn't that uncommon, especially in situations were the buyer/seller was out of state, like with vacation property.

.

Not a big deal to get resolved.

.

.

thanks

Barrister, Lawyer
Thanks, ***** ***** the lack of response was getting us worried (they said it wasn't ideal, and that they would get back to us, with no recommendations for a solution)... thanks for the peace of mind.

Nothing to worry about... if you notified them then they are probably just getting the closing docs together as it requires a little more effort to get them ready in a hurry so they can be shipped out to wherever brother is in time to get back for the actual closing.