Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My mother died 4 1/2 years ago and left jacksonville a few…

My mother died 4...

My mother died 4 1/2 years ago and left jacksonville a few months before that. She had a reverse mortgage with a balance of $104,000. The keys were returned to the bank for their processing. We just received a court order that states my brother-in-law is responsible for the money. There was no will. The court date is next Tuesday. We live out of state. Do we have any options? We do not want the house.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

No. Just received the paperwork.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a FL lawyer about this?

Not yet. Don't know who to call.

3/19/2018
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

We just received a court order that states my brother-in-law is responsible for the money.

.

Why would brother in law have anything to do with this?

.

A reverse mortgage is just a slow loan that pays out over time and when the owner passes, the lender gets the house to sell if the heirs don't want to pay off the balance on the reverse mortgage. If it sells for more than is owed, the estate gets the surplus funds..

.

.

thanks

We don’t know why he was selected. Do we need to appear in court?

If you aren't named as a defendant in any legal case, then no,. you don't have to appear. This may be just the lender filing an action with the court to get permission to foreclose on the loan and sell the property at public auction under the terms of the reverse mortgage.

.

Why they have noticed brother in law, instead of a blood relative, I have no idea...

.

But you aren't liable for the debt in any way and the only thing the lender can do is foreclose on the house and force a sale of it. If it doesn't sell for enough to pay off the loan, the lender gets stuck and they made a bad investment..

.

.

thanks

Barrister, Lawyer
Joycelaw
Joycelaw, Attorney
Phone call session started