Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I have a question about renters rights. I would like to know…

Customer Question
I have a question...

I have a question about renters rights

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

I would like to know what rights we have as renters. We have been at the same address for almost 20 yrs. The landlord doesn't want to fix the furnace so he decided he wants to sell the property. Which means we will have to move.

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

Las Vegas NV.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No not at this time.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/19/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 1 month ago
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Real Estate Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 1 month ago

I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Are you currently under a rental lease, or has it rolled over to a month to month without a written lease since you've been at the residence for such a lengthy time?

Real Estate Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 1 month ago

Your landlord is required under Nevada state law to maintain adequate working heat in your rental unit.

Failure to do so is a violation of your rights as a tenant.

See:

http://www.ncsl.org/research/environment-and-natural-resources/nevada-landlord-and-tenant-duties.aspx

If your landlord was notified of the problem with the lack of heat, and failed to remedy it, then your recourse would be to move out, and then sue in small claims court for your moving costs or other fees incurred, as this would be a breach of his duties under your lease contract.

He does have the ability to sell the home though, but the new owners should honor the existing lease contract, if there is still a written lease at this point in time.

If not, then this would have become considered as a month to month rental, in which case your landlord can sell the home by giving you adequate notice (usually 30 days notice for a month to month).

In the meantime if your landlord is failing to provide heat, then he is breaching his duties, and you can sue in small claims court to recover moving costs and/or any rent that was paid while you were without heat.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Real Estate Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 1 month ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!

Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones