Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My wife and I divorced 7 years ago. There was an IRS lien on…

My wife and I...

My wife and I divorced 7 years ago. There was an IRS lien on the house at the time. I signed the house over to her at the time of the divorce. A year ago she sold the house and the title insurance co. Did not note the lien. The IRS made them pay the lien months ago. Now the tittle insurance co. Wants me to pay the lien, even though I did not know the lien was present and that the house was even being sold.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

None, haven’t received anything from anybody yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the house located?

Lincoln, Nebraska I live in Colorado

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Wouldn’t know what

3/19/2018
WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Lawyer

No, the way title insurance works is the insurance guarantees clean title (or whatever liens show on the report). Since the IRS lien did not show, the title insurance company is responsible for missing it in their title report, and they have no recourse to come after you or anybody else. This is the obligation of the title company if they failed to include it in their title report. That is what title insurance is for, and they are on the hook here, certainly not you.

Please rate five stars ***** by clicking on five stars ***** and press SEND.

A bonus is appreciated after you rate.

Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.

WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Lawyer