Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I have a vacation rental business. My neighbor does not like…

Hello, i have a...

Hello, i have a vacation rental business. My neighbor does not like it (only after I rented to a black family but that is a whole new set of legal ?'s) and has called the county. His zoning is residential. Our zoning was vacation cottage (which allows rentals) they administratively changed it to lake residential. We were told this is the same thing and a change in name only. Now they are trying to say it is not zoned right even though we have gotten verification from a real estate attorney that it is still in vacation cottage zoning. What should our steps be to save them from shutting down our 1 year old business? Which we have rented 15 different homes over the years to hundreds of vacationers. Only have 5 complaints and EVERY single one was after a black family.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

We have sent a demand letter to neighbor to be compensated for the $10,000 worth of privacy trees. We were trying everything to make him happy but that is not possible. We have another county meeting April 5

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the cottage located?

Forsyth County Georgia Lake Lanier

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No that's about it

3/19/2018
Infolawyer, Lawyer

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

Is it just the neighbor or is there a government agency pursuing you?

The neighbor told several untruths and is now saying the house is too big (8 bedrooms) and is commercial. Now the government is looking into new regulation like hall county has been doing. Basically counties all over are trying to regulate vrbo and Air bnb type rentals

You want to have a lawyer respond to the government agency noting prior approval, and reliance on same. You may also want a lawyer letter to neighbor to cease and desist, and not trespass to the extent doing so,

We did send that to the neighbor and demanded retraction and $10,000 reimbursement for privacy trees etc trying to make him happy

It should come from a lawyer, and consider a police report if there is nuisance/trespass.

If my reply is acceptable, please reply "acceptable"

It was from an attorney. The county is another matter. We had them look in archives to define zoning and we are right but it is the government.

You can file a lawsuit seeking a declaratory judgment from the court that it is residential.

We also tried to bring up that the neighbor had no problem until a black family rented. She put her hand in my husbands face and said we’re not going there. Neighbors wife called and said I can’t relax with those people next door?

Police report and a lawsuit for declaration of rights are available options.

we can do both of those through a real estate attorney? Is it something that will take years? I already have several bookings this summer
It’s $20,000 per week to book. It’s upscale families

Yes, it can take 1-2 years to finish where not resolved earlier.

Please rate me 5 stars for the answers. *****

What do we say as far as police report?

You would complain of harassment, trespass, nuisance to the extent that is happening.

Okay great thank you

very welcome.

Kindly rate me 5 stars

Infolawyer, Lawyer
Sorry should we get a real estate attorney and everything before or after the county meeting? Should we see how the meeting goes or play offense and let them see if they vote against us it will be a fight?
I would get counsel in advance.
That’s what I was thinking. Thanks
Good luck!!