Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

We recently entered into a new construction home agreement.

We recently entered into...

We recently entered into a new construction home agreement. $5000 deposit. We would like to back out of the contract. We are okay with losing our deposit, however they have already broken ground on the home and we do not any to get involved in a lawsuit. Are we in danger of litigation or just losing our deposit?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

I have contact you. That’s it

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the home located?

Lewis Center, Ohio

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just north of Columbus

3/19/2018
Infolawyer, Lawyer

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

Have they done more than $5000 worth of work?

They have poored the basement
most likely yes

If you signed the contract, it does control. You should demand they stop and seek an accounting of funds spent. To my mind your liability would be capped at their cost, giving you credit for the deposit.

Poured

Yes, so if they spent $7500 and can document, that would be a fair termination fee, crediting you with the deposit first

If my reply is fast and acceptable, please reply "acceptable"

thats how I understand the contract as well
Acceptable. Thank you!

Good luck. Kindly rate me 5 stars.

Infolawyer, Lawyer