Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I am considering fighting in court to win back my portion of…

Customer Question
I am considering fighting...

I am considering fighting in court to win back my portion of the security deposit deducted. I was the only person to sign a sublesser agreement, if my former landlord countersues will that make everyone on the original lease responsible?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Colorado

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

Lease term was April 2016 to August 2017. There were issues related to maintenance and upkeep.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/19/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

You can pursue the deposit by negotiation and if needed legal action. Normally it would make all responsible, and if one person is being charged the full amount, that person can pursue the others for contribution.

I am the only one who did not receive timely notice of the security deposit deductions. While the other two roommates on the lease did. They did not dispute when they received the deductions list many months back because they are likely at fault for the damages. Most of the damage done was before I subleased. The duration was 16 months, and I was only there with my friend for 7 months. I disputed the charges upon discovering no funds were dispersed after reaching out to the landlord for answers. The problem is the landlords response was a threat of counter suing for 15 months of late charges totaling $1125 that were not able to be deducted from the security deposit.
Based on the lease verbiage, lessees are responsible for distributing funds for the security deposit to the lessee moving out from the lessee moving in. Am I able to pursue the amount of $950 or half of the security deposit I paid to the former person leasing despite only three people being on the lease? Or am I only able to persue $633 as the landlord claims I paid?

You may pursue a claim for the amount you deposited.

Tina, Lawyer