Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

While living in an apartment complex, does the landlord have…

While living in an apartment...
While living in an apartment complex, does the landlord have an responsibility to assure your safety from intrusion into you apartment.
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/19/2018
RealEstateAnswer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good afternoon. Have the police been called? Did the video show anyone entering the home?

I have not personally contacted the Police, and the manager claims this is my problem. The video recording ends anytime someone may have entered the apartment, which leads me to believe that it is edited. This only happened anytime I leave for several hours. Just recently I changed the locks, installing bump proof locks, and I held on to the second key until this morning. I locked the key in a 7-Pin Security/Night Deposit Bag with the second key to the bag located inside the security bag. I then placed the second key in my class B high security safe, and when I was away for several hours I returned to some of my recently purchased grocery items gone. I simply need to know if I have a reasonable expectation of having my apartment secured in my absence?

Thank you for the reply. Yes, if the management knows that there are break-ins or dangers and people are entering and breaking into apartments, they have a duty to act and secure the premises. However, there needs to be evidence of this and if you have a camera inside the rental and it goes blank, you want to get a new system. That should not happen. Moreover, the police need to be called and this needs to be reported, so they can investigate and see if there is any evidence.

Thank you. I will notify the manager in writing, and the Landlord to make my complaint official. I will notify the authorities to have legal documentation as well. Thank you for your assistance concerning this matter.

You are welcome. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. A 5 STAR rating is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

RealEstateAnswer