Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I bought a house with my ex-fiance. I was forced to leave 2…

Customer Question
Hello I bought a...

Hello I bought a house with my ex-fiance. I was forced to leave 2 days ago. His name is ***** ***** mortgage financials and both of our names are ***** ***** title and deed. How should I proceed with having me buy me out and if he sells it what steps do I need to take?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

No I haven't as of yet, I left the home on Saturday so this is my first step.

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the house located?

In Columbia SC

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No that's it in a nutshell

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/19/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

If you are on the deed with ex, then if you can't reach a private agreement on a buy out, you can file a legal action called a "partition action" to have a judge order a sale of the property at public auction so you can cash out your interest.

.

But he can't sell without your approval since you are on the deed and you would be entitled to half the surplus proceeds over payoff..

.

.

thanks