Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Deed with my significant other if 13 yrs. His name is on…

Customer Question
My name is *****...

My name is ***** ***** with my significant other if 13 yrs. His name is ***** ***** both on deed. We have lived here 4 1/2 yrs. Paying all bills from our joint household acct. I wish to leave & transfer to Florida. I've asked him to refinance & split equity. At the time of close, I would quick deed my righrs. He is on fence on a refinance. I feel we both win. Do I have to sign if he finds seller? I want the most I can get.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

No. He dropped info of at bank that holds loan. To inquire about a refinance.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a FL lawyer about this?

No. Just asking for info on rights

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No thanks

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/18/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

If either of you wanted to sell and the other didn't, then the selling partner could file a legal action called a partition action and a judge would order the house sold at public auction to the highest bidder.. So yes, he could force a sale legally if you didn't voluntarily agree to sell to someone privately.

.

.

thanks

Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 4 months ago

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much