Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

How to I add my name to a house that has been paid off and…

Customer Question
How to I add...

How to I add my name to a house that has been paid off and is listed to My ex wife. We are in agreement that

Lawyer's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page. What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Minnesota

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

None, both My ex and I agree that both are names should be listed as owners on the property tax statement

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/18/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today.

You are going to need to do what's called a quit claim deed. A

A QC deed is one where you basically sign over the property from one party to another and record it in your local county recorder's office.

You can go to www.legalzoom.com or rocketlawyer.com to find a quit claim deed specific to MN, have both of you sign the documents, make sure to have it notarized, take it to the county recorder's office, and you will be the co-owner of the property going forward.

What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?