Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My landlord and just finished our unlawful detainer that he…

Customer Question
My landlord and just...

My landlord and just finished our unlawful detainer that he filed against me for illegal narcotic possession on apt. property. I made a long list of code violations and he refused to repair violations when I asked him. He broke the front doors violently with forklift. My attorney who workrd for non profit eviction defense center in Oakland, Ca. I guess didn't think it mattered if the landlord had a permit to rent or not. Can I take my landlord to court even though I signed an agreement saying I would not sue him ever again with reguards to the apt.?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Oakland , ca

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

My rent total is around $14000

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No that's it for now

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/18/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: socrateaser, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
socrateaser, Lawyer

I am a member of the State Bar of California and a licensed real estate broker.

You seem to indicate that you have signed a settlement and release agreement. Was this agreement signed as part of the settlement of your unlawful detainer action?

but I have not accepted his money. The deal was I get 45 days to move out and $7000 to help me relocate to new apt. But has no right to sue me at all bacause he had never filed with the city to legally rent the apt out. It had never been a rentable space ever.

1. Did the landlord actually file the unlawful detainer action with the court?

2. Was the action voluntarily dismissed "with prejudice" by the landlord?

3. Have you received a check from the landlord for $7,000.00?

4. Do you have a citation to some legal authority (case law, statute, regulation, local ordinance) that shows the landlord could not sue for unlawful detainer? If not, then on what do you base your statement that the landlord cannot sue you to remove you from the property? (n.b.: I'm not saying you're wrong, because I haven't researched the law applicable to Oakland, CA -- but, if you have some source for this particular legal assertion, it would be helpful to my understanding the situation)