Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My water heater broke, causing damage to down stair apt" now…

Customer Question
My water heater broke...

My water heater broke, causing damage to down stair apt" now 3 years later their insurance company is suing me for negalgence

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have they taken so far? Have they prepared or filed any paperwork?

Yes

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

Coconut creek, fl.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

They want 39,000 dollars

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/18/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: DamienJD, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
DamienJD
DamienJD, Lawyer

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Please give me a moment to review your question. I may ask some questions to clarify issues.

Are you wondering what the statute of limitations is on those type of claims? Or do you have other questions?

I have 10 days to response to the law suit

Thanks for the additional information. If you were served with a complaint, you must respond to it either by filing a motion to dismiss it or to answer it, provide affirmative defenses and make any possible counterclaims.

A motion to dismiss could be based on a variety of reasons but mostly because of lack of jurisdiction, improper service or beyond the statute of limitation and generally if there are no facts to support a cause of action.

If there is no basis for the motion to dismiss. you would file an answer. Sometimes, the court clerks have templates that you can use if you went to speak with them in person or possibly on the court's website.

We can discuss this more if you want to do so.

If you have further questions or you need further assistance, just let me know.

If not, please remember to rate my answer between 3 to 5 stars without any additional costs to you. That is how I get credit for answering your question. Best regards.

Real Estate Lawyer: DamienJD, Lawyer replied 3 months ago

Hello again:

I am checking in with you to see if you need further help. If you need more, just let me know.