Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I have a one year lease on home rental to expire end of

Customer Question
I have a one...

I have a one year lease on home rental to expire end of Jun'18 but we've just purchased a house and wish to end our lease early in mid April'18. How do we do this?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

We are closing on the house at end of Mar.

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the home located?

In Orlando 32829 and rental also in Orlando at 32828

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/18/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

I don't know if this is something you can get out of unless you have something in your contract that allows you out.

Getting out of a contract can be very difficult. With that said, there are some things that you would want to consider that the law recognizes as defenses to the enforcement of a contract. One of the defenses is capacity, meaning that a person who is mentally ill, under the age of 18, under the influence of drugs/alcohol can have the contract voided. Additionally, if a party enters into an agreement under duress, it can be voided. Also, if the contract is so one-sided that it would be considered unconscionable, that is another reason. Finally, there is the issue of mistake. A court can declare that there is a mistake made by both parties as to the assumption on which the contract was based. For example, if both parties made an assumption that a certain event would occur, but the event does not occur, then the contract is voidable. Unless the agreement falls into one of these categories, then the agreement is enforceable.

What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?

Do you practice law in Florida? We heard in Florida, you can cancel a home lease agreement if you purchase a home.
Real Estate Lawyer: RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
RealEstateAnswer

Good afternoon. I see you opted out your previous expert, is there something else I can answer or clarify?