Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I lease my townhouse in Wilton Manors,FL. My landlord just…

Customer Question
I lease my townhouse...

I lease my townhouse in Wilton Manors,FL. My landlord just sent me a renewal lease with a two lease with a slight rental increase which I agreed to. Now he is saying that I must pay an additional security deposit with the "extension" of the lease. I paid first last and security at the signing of the first year lease. Is he in his rights to demand that, I have never leased where I had to ":renew" the security deposit at time of renewal. Is he in his rights?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

I indicated in my message above FLORIDA.

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

No just typical utilities, he belongs to the HomeOwners Assoc. which is responsible for any exterior maintenance, landlorad repairs or replaces any interior maintenance issues.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am making my own additions to the interior blinds, etc. which he refuses to pay for. This is an old area and the buildings are old and require updating like the blinds window coverings I just mentioned.above. I am a perfect tenant that maintains the interior property exceptionally well.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/18/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Is he in his rights to demand that, I have never leased where I had to ":renew" the security deposit at time of renewal. Is he in his rights?

.

Legally yes, a landlord can require a tenant to provide a security deposit of literally as a much as they want because FL doesn't have a law that limits the amount of a deposit a landlord can charge..

.

So he can increase the amount he wants to hold as a security deposit legally in a situation like this.

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much

Barrister, Lawyer