Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Florida landlocked vacant land question. I would like to…

Florida landlocked vacant land question...
Florida landlocked vacant land question. I would like to purchase an approximate 1 acre parcel of land that is surrounded by other 1 acre parcels of land with no road access. My question is, by Florida Law, does the adjoining parcel owners have to give me access to the property? I was told (by a non reliable source) that if the adjoining property owners would not allow me an easement that I could take them to court and by law they would have to. Is this true?Thank you
3/18/2018
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

Yes thats correct.Here is the law

..

According to Florida Statute 704.01(1), Florida recognizes the common law rule of an easement by necessity. To have an implied grant of necessity, you must have possession of land which has no "practicable and reasonable" means of entrance or exit except by traveling over adjacent land.

Laws in the State of Florida About Landlocked Properties - Legal Beagle

https://legalbeagle.com/6884946-laws-state-florida-landlocked-properties.html

You will need local lawyer to send demand letter and sue if unresolved.The law allows for such access by easement of necessity.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks

If you can positive rate5 stars it is much appreciated.

Ray, Lawyer
Thank you very much Ray and I hope you have a great day

You too Happy Sunday.