Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

What type of documentation do I need to terminate a lease?

What type of documentation...

What type of documentation do I need to terminate a lease? My son is trying to rent an apartment. He signed a lease for one apartment (we'll call it #1), and a week before move in he was told that the apartment would not be ready by his move in date, but they had a different one (#2) he could move in to on the same move in date. When they sent the lease for #2, it was for the wrong year (2019-2020), the office was made aware and were going to send a corrected one. He already signed the #2 lease (for the wrong year). I need to cancel both of these leases with no issues. What do I need to include in the cancellation letter to ensure he doesn't owe on two apartments?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

No issues, he hasn't even moved in yet.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of.

3/18/2018
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Please give me a moment to review your question. I may ask some questions to clarify issues.

Have you spoken to the management company or owner about your son decided not to move into the building? If so, what do they say about it?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok

Have you spoken to the management company or owner about your son deciding not to move into the building? If so, what do they say about it?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He is moving into the apartment, once we have a correct lease. I just need to know how to cancel the lease for the first apartment (#1) and the lease for the second apartment that has the wrong year (#2).
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I just don't want him to be legally responsible for rent on two apartments.

Thanks for the clarification. You can write a letter setting forth that your son is not responsible for the first apartment lease and that he is not responsible for the 2d apartment lease that was signed in error with the wrong years.

You would have a space for the management company or landlord to sign the letter so that way you have their agreement that he is not responsible for those leases.

We can discuss this more if you want to do so.

If you have further questions or you need further assistance, just let me know.

If not, please remember to rate my answer between 3 to 5 stars without any additional costs to you. That is how I get credit for answering your question. Best regards.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK. So I don't have to have it notarized then? I just don't want this to come back on us. I am the guarantor.

It is not necessary legally to notarize the signing and the countersigning of the letter but you can attempt to have their signatures signed in front of a notary. It would not hurt.

This is less of a concern if your son is moving into the building anyway. If he was not to move into the building, then it would be more of a concern.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK. Thank you so much. I can take a breath now.

You are very welcome.

Please remember to rate my answer between 3 to 5 stars without any additional costs to you. That is how I get credit for answering your question. Best regards.

Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney