Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My wife’s house in Illinois went into foreclosure. I bought…

Customer Question
My wife’s house in...

My wife’s house in Illinois went into foreclosure. I bought a trailer on 4 acres in Tennessee three years ago and moved here while the wife lived in Illinois. She moved here about 2 years ago to stay with me till all here Illinois issues got sorted out. I was on a heloc with my wife but wasn’t on the home loan. There is a balance of approx 23000 on heloc which I understand will not be paid off by the sale of the house. I was needing to know how to proceed.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

I have not done anything. The wife’s house just went into foreclosure this week I believe

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to an IL lawyer about this?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Don’t think so

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/18/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

If you are on the HELOC and the sale doesn't pay it off, then the lender can come after you for payment on that loan since you signed to be personally liable.

.

TN only has a $7500 homestead exemption for a person's home for equity, so if you had more equity than that, they could potentially force a sale of the house to pay off the debt if you didn't work out some type of settlement with them to pay it off..

.

.

thanks