Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

If i have a lease that has an option to renew, but nobody…

If i have a...

If i have a lease that has an option to renew, but nobody indicates that they want to renew, is the lease enforceable?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

Nothing.

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

New Jersey. It is for a physician practice

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I know of...

the practice continues to practice in that space. They have not vacated.
3/18/2018
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

If the tenant doesn't notify the landlord that they want to renew the lease, then when the lease expires so does the option to renew and the tenant would either vacate, or if the landlord agreed to continue the tenancy, it would continue on as a month to month tenancy.

.

But that has nothing to do with the enforceability of the lease... it is enforceable as long as the tenancy is in effect.

.

.

thanks

Barrister, Lawyer