Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

If a home buyer did not request a home inspection, is the…

Customer Question
If a home buyer...

If a home buyer did not request a home inspection, is the seller responsible

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps has the buyer taken so far? Have they prepared or filed any paperwork?

They are asking us to be responsible for basement water damage

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the home located?

Customer:*****NE Waseca,MN

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We had some seepage in the basement bedroom and collected $5000 from our insurance company. Due to an oversite, we did not declare the loss on our disclosure, but did disclose the seepage. We lived in the home for less than a year because of my husbands health. The new owners moved in in April and in October they discovered mold in the bedroom. At that time they said repair estimates ranged from $38,000 to $50,000. We had a building inspector and the owners realtor look at the damage. They estimated repairs $2,000.00 to $4,000.00. So we offered the new owners the $5,000.00 we received from our insurance company. The new owners now got two more estimates and say the estimates are $16,000.00. I feel they are wanting to redo the entire basement at our expense. Please advise.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/17/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

""Due to an oversite, we did not declare the loss on our disclosure, but did disclose the seepage. ""

.

I am not sure what this means... Did you disclose that there was water leaking into the basement in the seller's disclosure? And that you hadn't had repairs made to cure the problem?

.

Or did you take the $5K and use that to pay to repair the problem?

.

.

thanks

Tina, Lawyer