Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I electronically initialed the first page of a lease

I electronically initialed the...

I electronically initialed the first page of a lease agreement for an apartment, didn't initialed the rest of the lease agreement or the electronic signature part, can they still hold me liable to the contract?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

South dakota

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Also it was a lease that had my girlfriends name and mine on it but she hasn't initialed anything or electronically signed yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

They already have our security deposit, not a hold deposit, so my main concern is that if we can get our deposit back because we read the whole agreement and we don't want the place anymore

3/17/2018
WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Lawyer

No, they can't hold you liable for anything here. Under the laws of South Dakota any contract for real estate much be in writing and if the agreement is not signed by you or your girlfriend, there is no agreement until it is actually signed. The fact that you initialed the first page is irrelevant, it needs a full signature by both of you to be effective as a contract.

Since both of you did not sign fully, there is no contract and neither of you can be held liable for anything by the landlord.

Please rate five stars ***** by clicking on five stars ***** and press SEND.

A bonus is appreciated after you rate.

Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.

WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Lawyer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much, so is probable that we'll get our deposit back?
WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Lawyer