Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

We are in Missouri. Our landlord was foreclosed on. We still…

Customer Question
We are in Missouri...

We are in Missouri. Our landlord was foreclosed on. We still have 90 days on our lease. The new owner is wanting to flip the house and wants us out sooner. What is our legal right?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

What kind of paperwork?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a MO lawyer about this?

No-we found out Wednesday when the new owner came by, then on Frideay he came and asked if we had a new place yet.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/17/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

ok

I am sorry to hear of the dilemma, but I do have information you will find useful.

If your landlord loses the rental property through foreclosure, it can terminate an existing lease and then the new owner has the right to seek to evict you. However, the new owner must go through the judicial process in order to evict you. This means that the new owner must obtain a court order for your eviction. To obtain a court order against you, the new owner must file an eviction lawsuit against you in court. It is illegal for your original landlord or the new owner to lock you out or to perform other types of self-help eviction.

If the new owner wants you out early, you may want to see if they are willing to pay you to leave early. It is called a "cash for keys" deal.

Open negotiations and see if the new owner is willing to pay you to get in early without the time and expense of going to court.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.