Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

How many times, or better still how often can a landlord…

Good Morning ; Good...

Good Morning ; Good Morning;

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far? Has any paperwork been prepared or filed?

How many times , or better still how often can a landlord increase the rent. We've been renting here for 16 years and no problems , and 8 months ago they raised the rent 100.00 and now another 90.00 .Is that even legal. I think he just wants us to move , but my wife is just to ill , with sorocis of the liver to handle a move , could you help me figure it out ?

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

Hemet Ca

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just that we have always kept up the mobile , inside and out , and get along with all of our neighbors , and have never had arun in with the landlord , who won't fix anything , and complained when I mentioned a big tree in our yard needed trimmed , and some pine needles needed picked up , which has been handled.The tree has not been fixed at all and is a danger to fall on this mobile , the pine needles, I have been picking up , under the 60 foot tall pine tree - go figure.

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/17/2018

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Is the property under a lease for a specified period of time, it is not under rent control laws, or is it a month to month lease?

month to month rental , and we are both on ssd with very limited income.
hi; cancel the phone call, i did not realize there was a50.00 dollar charge - we can type !

Thank you for your reply. No problem you can ignore any phone requests, the experts do not send those out and as we are not site employees we cannot stop the site from doing so.

If you are on month to month rental, there is no CA law preventing your landlord from raising the rent every single month if he wants to do so as long as he gives 30 day notice of the increase. You are not in a rent controlled property and each month legally is considered a brand new lease, so the landlord can raise rent.

If the landlord is refusing to make necessary repairs, then that is good cause to sue the landlord for breach of lease to force him to make repairs if you choose. However, because you are not under a long term lease and are month to month, CA law does not protect you from rent increases I am sorry to say.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

WiseOwl58
Phone call session started