Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I am an active duty member and verbally notified my leasing…

Customer Question
Good Morning. I am...

Good Morning. I am an active duty member and verbally notified my leasing office when i renewed my lease (02/14/18) that I'd be moving out on 04/01/18. On 03/02/18 I emailed the property manager that I'd be moving out on 04/01/18 but I still hadn't received separation orders and would like to know hoe to proceed however she never replied. I turned my orders in today and was told (another leasing office member) that I'd have to be responsible for paying rent for the month of April. I feel that I shouldn't be charged for the month of April seeing as how I provided a 30 day notice which is what the state of MD requires.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

No I have not filed any paperwork. I was told by the leasing member that I should wait to speak to the property manager on monday b/c she would be the only one that could help me but that she'd most likely tell me the same thing.

Lawyer's Assistant: Of course. The best way to reach them is by emailing***@******.***

Would this be in order to reach a lawyer?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a MD lawyer about this?

No I have not.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No that would be it.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
3/17/2018
Real Estate Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 3 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If you have provided 30 day notice, you need to read your lease as to whether or not they can hold you liable for the last month of your departure. If it has no such clause, you need to inform them that as you are on active duty orders under the Servicemembers Credit Relief Act you are allowed to do so without penalty.

If they refuse, you can sue them for breach of lease and violation of the SCRA for refusing to allow cancellation without penalty.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.