Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I have a renter to own in Duluth MN that has been late on…

I have a renter...

I have a renter to own in Duluth MN that has been late on payments and hasent paid in full in those three months, he Is caught up now but has been late three different months out of the shy of two weeks of being there 6 months. I have an investor who has contacted me because he is interested in my home. My question is can I sell my house with having a contract rent to own to someone else to take over my house with renter if he agrees to honor my contract with my renter?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far? Has any paperwork been prepared or filed?

No paper work except our agreement between us. When he was late I called him and gave him the opertunity to catch up and I told him he can’t be late any more. When I left MN he told me then that he wanted to buy my house in 4 months then it turned to 6 months. I am living with my son and would like to buy a house here in Colorado but have to wait for the sale of the Duluth home to do so

Lawyer's Assistant: Has he talked to a MN lawyer about this?

No not that I know of

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just want to know my rights and if I can sell house to someone else who will tal take over the rental

3/17/2018
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Sure, you would just be assigning your rights to the new buyer who would then continue on as the landlord/seller to the tenant/buyer.

.

The new owner would just "step into your shoes" and take over as the landlord/seller with all the same rights that you had..

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much

No not at this time. Just feeling stuck but as long as I know I can put my house on the market makes me feel better. Thank You !

You are very welcome. Happy to help any time.

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the title and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

If you feel I have answered all your questions, I would very much appreciate a 5 star rating by clicking on the rating scale on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

.

.

Have a great afternoon!

Barrister, Lawyer
Ok thank you